11/13/2007

Part of a Matched Set

There seems to be a prevailing belief that the "perfect" family includes a father, a mother, and two children--one boy child and one girl child. Since we were "unlucky" enough to get stuck with two girls instead of hitting the gender jackpot the second time around, I get a lot of comments (mostly from strangers) about how we should "try for a boy" or about how "maybe the next time we'll get the boy."

It's sort of funny, I suppose. I was 100% sure that Sadie was a boy. Until an ultrasound proved otherwise. But it took about two seconds to get behind the idea of having two girls. There is not an iota of regret that we didn't "get the boy." I can't imagine anything more perfect than having two rocking chicks (except maybe if one of said chicks would stop waking up at 5 A.M.). And you know--it's entirely possible I'll change my mind once the teenage years are upon us. But for now, I'm perfectly happy to have a matched set. I mean, just look at these faces! [And note: The matching PJs weren't my idea.]

[Editor's note: I will add (since a friend just brought it up and since I was thinking the same thing earlier): I might feel differently if I had two boys. I mean, it's impossible to say since I don't, but I might have found it hard not to have at least one little princess.]





No comments: