In my mind, I'd imagined this summer as a carefree whirlwind (remember, I didn't think the condo would actually sell!) of beach and pool trips, playing the summer library game, attending outdoor concerts at Ravinia, bike riding to SuperDawg, and making multiple trips to Lincoln Park Zoo (especially since we are now Zoologist members and get unlimited free parking). Instead, it's shaping up to be a whirlwind of boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, stress, and home improvement. The girls are thrilled beyond belief about the new house, and I feel like a lot is riding on us to make this house perfect for them. And really, a lot *is* riding on this.
I hope that through all of this I'll be able to remember to slow down and take some time out for the things that make summer, well, summer. And I hope that the move to the 'burbs ends up being a positive change for the entire family. I am already mourning the things I'll miss about the city, like:
- The icy cart guy (how do people get ice cream in the suburbs?)
- Portage Park Pool (lines, snarky lifeguards, and all)
- Curio Cafe
- Smoque
- SuperDawg
- Movies in the park (which we've never actually been to but which I've always been meaning to try)
- The lake
- St. Viator and all our awesome friends there
- Our totally awesome neighbors
- Our proximity to downtown (not that we really take advantage of it)
- Our proximity to Wrigley (which we haven't been to in five years)
- The snowfree-in-the-winter Lakefront path
Wish me luck!





No comments:
Post a Comment