Want to know my deepest, darkest secret*? I am barely running at all right now. Chalk it up to a complete and total loathing of the treadmill (that and the fact that our treadmill overheats as soon as you get to 6mph--not that this is as big of a problem as it *should* be) and no races on the horizon. In turn, the fact that I am barely (barely!) eeking out six miles a week makes me feel apathetic about signing up for races in the first place. It's a vicious cycle--one that I'm pretty certain will be broken by the dawning of spring-like temps. I know it's true because the few days we've had where it has hit the mid-50s, I was jonesing for a run.
Of course, the fact that I'm not running does not mean I am just sitting on my arse. I have been hitting the gym at least three times a week (well, okay, sometimes only two) with a new goal of five times a week. I've taken this mini-break from running as an opportunity to try out some of the group classes at the Y. I can sweat through 45 minutes of Spin, but I still don't think it's as difficult of a workout as running, proving, I guess, that I have to pound my joints into the ground to feel like anything is doing "any good." I've also been attending an hour-long strength training class. The class itself is enjoyable, but exercising for an hour without dripping sweat at the end feels like a waste of time. I guess I am woefully Type A when it comes to exercise.
Given all this, it probably comes as no surprise that I did not register for the Chicago Marathon this year. I'm still on the fence about signing up for Lakefront 10, mostly because (like I said), I'm barely running at all right now. I'm definitely planning on the September half-marathon (and if they can be held to a drunken conversation at a wine-tasting party, so are a few of my favorite friends and neighbors!). 26.2: been there, done that. Did it make me a better runner? Not really. I think you can either focus on running long or on running better/faster, so I think for this summer, I am going to max out at 13.1 and see if I can shave some serious time off my HM personal best. As for Chicago, there is always 2012!
On the other hand, registration for Chicago is still open....
(*Editor's Note: That is not really my deepest, darkest secret.)
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment