8/03/2011

Camo and Glitter, What's Not to Love?

I took Sadie back-to-school shopping yesterday. The girl needs no clothes. She could wear a different outfit every day of the week for the next year and not repeat--that's how little she needs clothes. But I firmly believe that a girl needs some clothes to call her own, especially Sadie, who is a little fashionista in the making. She loves clothes. She loves shoes. She loves jewelery. She loves shopping.

So while Ella was at a particularly fancy birthday party at Build-a-Bear, I took Sadie to the mall to check out some stores under the guise of finding the one that had clothing most similar to Justice, which unfairly does not make clothing in a size 5. And that's quite okay with me, because I've got several bones to pick with Justice, including their ridiculous pricing and the fact that they really want my seven-year-old's navel to hang out whenever possible. Stay classy, Justice.

We visited Gap, H&M, and Children's Place before settling on Children's Place because it had the highest proportion of glittery clothing (but no navel-baring tops, thank goodness!). We took several outfits into the dressing room and then began the process of narrowing down the right look for the first day of kindergarten.

I thought this was just darling. And it looked fantastic on Sadie. Her reaction? "I know YOU like that one, Mom, but it's not really my thing." Okay, then, moving on.

This is what Sadie REALLY liked. Paired with this skirt. I feel sort of bad now that I steered her away from this choice by saying that I thought it was a little too "sparkly" for school. But really? Head-to-toe camo on a five-year-old girl? It's not my first choice. Plus, that shirt was basically one sheet of sequins. It seemed a little tawdry for kindergarten, but maybe I just have no fashion sense.

In the end, we settled on this top with this skirt. I have to admire the kid's fashion sense because it looks really cute together. I'd never have paired the two, and I really don't like belted tops like that for myself, but it's very cute on her.

Let's hear it for the first of many mother-daughter shopping sessions that will be an exercise in compromise! Meanwhile, Ella got this top with a black skirt. I have to be honest, it's not a look I love. But what does it matter? I'm just the mom, after all. Honestly, I am not at all a sentimental person, but Ella tried on one outfit (a really cute, age-appropriate plaid skirt with a matching top) and looked so much like a teenager that I nearly cried. I guess I should just be grateful I kept her navel contained for a tiny bit longer.

No comments: