9/14/2011

At Long Last

I think the kid has finally decided to cut me a break. Yesterday, for the first time in what feels like years (but is actually only a week or two), she bounced out of bed, chatting excitedly about her plans for school. She walked to school with no tears. She did not cower on my lap, crying and waiting for the bell to ring. Instead, she skipped off to ask a classmate what dance class she is doing this year. She socialized! I thought for sure that the wheels would come off once the bell rang and kids stared filing into school. I watched with impatience as we stood in line--why aren't they opening the damn door? Can't they see I'm on the threshold of really happy progress that could be ruined by the slightest delay? But the door opened, and Sadie shuffled into school with the rest of her classmates. And she was actually smiling. At recess, she told a neighbor, "I love kindergarten!"

It's a fitting reminder of just how fast things change in the parenting world, as it was not even a week ago that a neighbor was suggesting a THERAPIST that could help Sadie deal with her kindergarten angst. (Yes, I thought it was ridiculous too. Let's give the kid more than two weeks to adjust before we throw her in therapy and put her on Prozac, eh?)

In other news, a reluctant Sadie started the fall soccer season, hitting the field with a confidence I've never before witnessed in her. She even scored her first ever goal.

That kid rocks.

No comments: