I have a friend that decided she would run every single day for as long as she could continue the streak. Some days, she would only run a mile, but the thinking was that there is time every single day for at least a 20-minute run and continuing the streak makes it somehow habit because one rest day turns into two turns into three. Anyhow, with the dark days of December (and DREADmill season) approaching, compounded with the crazy bustle of the holiday season, I figured I'd give a streak of my own a try. The goal is to run the 25 days of Christmas, beginning on December 1 (though I actually started on November 30 because I'm an overachiever). As luck would have it, I got a rotten cold on December 1, but I've been plugging along anyway, sticking with shortish runs (20 to 40 minutes) while suffering throught this stupid cold. So far, so good. I printed a calendar grid and have been marking off the days. Ella is pretty into it and has even marked some days off for me. I have found that it has gotten me to squeeze a run in on plenty of days that I really didn't feel like it or really didn't feel like I had time for it, and I'm always the better for it. It's possible I'll sub in a day of spinning or some other cross-training here and there if the running starts to feel like it's taking a toll. We'll see.
But apparently this is not a new and novel idea (which it wasn't to begin with since I stole it from a friend), as I came across this in a Runner's World facebook post. Call it a streak or call it the 25 Days of Christmas, but by my count, I'm seven days in.
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment