4/15/2009

For the Birds

Last spring, Dean and Ella built a birdhouse together. I think it was Ella's idea, though I can't remember for certain. All I know is I thought it was a pretty cute father-daughter activity. I've never built anything with my dad (who is actually pretty handy, which comes as no surprise considering he is one of the most competent people you will ever meet) unless you count the pyramid that we "built" together when I was in grade school. Basically, I was supposed to construct a pyramid. My pyramid sucked. So my dad made a newer, better one. I don't think I helped one bit. But it was a damn cool pyramid nonetheless (probably BECAUSE of my lack of participation).

So anyhow, back to Dean and Ella and their birdhouse. If I recall correctly, Ella lost interest in the project about halfway through (though Dean might remember better than I do, so he should feel free to chime in here), but she did paint the birdhouse. And she was proud as could be when Dean hung it on a tree (which doesn't even happen to be in our yard; the tree faces our yard, but the trunk in our neighbor's yard). Then we waited. And waited. And waited. No birds. Dean and I even considered whether or not the entry hole was large enough for a bird to enter. Eventually, I concluded that they'd have been better off building a bird *feeder* (and seriously, am I the only person in the world who didn't realize that a birdhouse and bird feeder are two very separate things?). The birdhouse hung in the tree unattended and unloved but at least a testament to a beautiful father/daughter experience.

But then! Then! Spring rolled around for a second year, and the poor, pitiful, pathetic, lonely birdhouse was snapped up before the first 60-degree day (which I swear we are still waiting for). Ella and Dean noticed it first, with Ella coming in the house one day to proudly exclaim that a bird was building a nest in her birdhouse. Oh the joy! And it's true. A bird HAS built a nest in the birdhouse. I've even got photographic evidence that the hole is indeed large enough for a bird to enter (and exit).

We are all excited to see how this unfolds.

(Bonus points to the person who can tell me what kind of bird this is! Apologies for the quality of the photo. It was snapped through a window and taken from a great distance.)

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ella helped with the hammering for a while, but then it got to be too loud and she lost interest. She really got into the painting, though, that paint job is all her. I'm pretty sure the bird I saw in there was just a plain old house sparrow.

-dean

Anonymous said...

i agree it looks like a house sparrow - but a plain old house sparrrow really ain't all that plain or old when you think about it.

Anonymous said...

oops. that comment was from uncle dave