4/01/2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

The girls and I ran to the library last night. And on the way home, the weather was doing some wild stuff. It was gray. It was sunny. And I thought, Conditions are perfect for a rainbow! And sure enough, we were soon rewarded with a spectacular rainbow. Part of it lit the sky so brightly that I thought it was a spotlight at first.

The girls were, of course, awe struck. I told them (foolishly, in retrospect) that rainbows were magical (and really, can you dispute that fact? I guess it all depends what your definition of "magical" is) and that they should each make a wish.

Sadie wished to be a berry. Which seemed so completely odd to me until I realized she had really said FAIRY. Ah, yes, that makes a bit more sense.

And Ella wished--are you ready for this? Ella wished that Pinocchio was a real boy. Which...? I don't even understand that wish.

I'm going to take it as a sign that both girls' needs are being completely met if these are the sorts of things they're wishing for!

This morning, Ella questioned me thoroughly about whether or not rainbows really ARE magical because Sadie didn't turn into a fairy overnight. She didn't turn into a berry overnight either, thankfully! And Ella didn't get her wish about Pinocchio. The thing is: How does she know for certain? I mean, her wish was way too broad. It's entirely possible that somewhere in the world, a real boy was born and his parents named him Pinocchio. Stranger things have happened. I would also go so far as to debate whether or not Sadie turned into a fairy. There has always been something magical about that child. Who are we to say she's not a fairy?? And if she has ALWAYS been a fairy, that would explain why she didn't turn into one after making her wish. Right? Right.

I'd tell you what *I* wished for, but everyone knows that if you share your wish, it won't come true!

No comments: