Ella and Sadie are so mean to each other sometimes--mostly Ella being mean to poor little Sadie, which, I guess, is the price you pay for being born second. Sorry about that, Sadie. But I *know* they secretly love each other, and here's how:
*Any* time I am alone with one of the girls and happen to get something for that child, whether it's a treat or a dollar bin item or a free coloring sheet, she always, always says, "Don't forget to get one for my sister, too." On Saturday, Sadie insisted on going along on what was *supposed* to be a VERY fast Target trip. (When you add a three-year-old into the mix, "very fast" takes on a whole new meaning....) I stopped at Starbucks for coffee (how else am I supposed to function?), and Sadie strong-armed me into getting her a treat. I got her a Rice Krispy treat, broke a piece of for her, then took a bite myself. Sadie interrupts: "Don't eat it all. You have to save some for my sister."
Yesterday, we were at the library, and the librarian asks if Sadie can have a piece of candy (our new library is insane--actually encouraging eating and drinking in the library!!). I tell her yes, so she asks Sadie if she's been a good girl that day (to find out if she deserves the candy, I guess). By way of answer, Sadie launches into this story about how she has a sister who will need a piece of candy too.
Clearly, I spend more time alone with Sadie than with Ella (poor Ella, the misfortune of being the first-born!), but I'm pretty sure Ella does this too. Now I'll have to pay attention to see whether or not I'm right.... It could be that Sadie just really, really loves Ella--which I already knew.
In any case, I can be (mostly) certain that my sisters look out for each other (almost) all the time. Except, you know, when they don't. But it has been my experience that they do watch out for each other when it counts the most.
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment