11/05/2009

On the Hobby Horse...

Before the children, I didn't have any hobbies. Seriously, not a one. In fact, when I think back to that time LONG ago when my life was my own and I didn't have anyone else to answer to, I honestly can't figure out what the heck I did with my time. I remember *feeling* like I was very busy. I remember taking a lot of naps (what the heck was I so tired from?). I remember not ever having the time to get to the gym. But I can't tell you what the heck I was so busy doing.

Now, of course, it's an entirely different story. I feel like a crazed maniac all the time--most likely because I *am* a crazed maniac all the time. If you call me on the phone, I probably won't call you back. And it's not just because I really hate the phone (although I do really hate the phone). It's just because there are many days when I don't have a single second free.

So now seems like the appropriate time for a new hobby. Especially since I'm having such a hard time finding time for my other hobby (running). I finished a series of three knitting classes last week, and now I'm somewhat close to finishing my first project--a scarf for Ella that is much too wide (I'll blame my knitting teacher for that). I'd have finished something sooner if I weren't such a damned perfectionist (something that also impedes my running) because I ripped out the beginnings of at least three other scarves before settling in for the long haul with the current one. I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't have two more projects (and the requisite yarn) lined up behind this one. Of course, this all coincides with renewed efforts to get back on track with running, so we'll see.

Did I mention that I am also currently reading THREE books right now? (And that's not counting the two books I'm listening to on my ipod and in the car.) At least these days I have a reason for feeling so tired all the time.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I can't wait to see your scarf!And as I recall, you have always been a reader. That's a hobby!