I've been sick on and off since September (not good) and may or may not have an ear infection (not good), which I don't have the time and energy to actually have diagnosed by a medical professional (not good). Plus, I'm tired (not good) and have two impossible deadlines this week (not good). But, but, but.... We actually had a fairly positive day (at least housewise) yesterday, so here's a list of things that make me happy:
1. The new fireplace guy (NFP) gave us a quote that is more than a thousand dollars less than the previous fireplace guy (PFP). Plus, I liked him. He told us that the fireplace is actually in really good condition (I think that's the first time someone has said that about something in our house!). He told us that it would actually be safe to have a fire or two before we did the necessary work. And he advised us to get a new hotwater heater that vents outside the house rather than installing the stainless-steel liner that the other guy wanted us to get. The cost is about the same, but we are acutally on the verge of needing a new hotwater heater, so spending $1250 on a stainless-steel liner that we'll only need for two or three years (until we replace the hotwater heater) is just plain stupid. I'm really irritated that PFP didn't mention the hotwater heater option. Jerk. PFP also said our fireplace was super dangerous and unsafe, which I think was a ploy to get us to pony up the money to get it fixed. I really hate not knowing which contractors you can trust and which are out to rob you blind.
2. We got the plumber's bill for the Raw Sewage Incident (RSI), and it wasn't nearly as bad as we had feared.
3. We ordered new tables for the living room (a coffee table and two end tables) and bedroom furniture for us (a headboard and two nightstands). I'm excited to finally have "real" bedroom furniture.
4. Wal-Mart customer service called me last night regarding a scathing e-mail I sent concerning a hugely fouled-up online order I placed. The woman I spoke with was incredibly nice and sent me a $30 online gift card for my troubles.
5. I started my knitting class last week and really enjoyed it. After a rough start, I seem to have gotten the hang of everything we learned last week. The girls are eagerly awaiting the scarves I have promised to make, and Sadie is anticipating the new yellow blankie I said I'd make her....
So there you have it—five good things!
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment