I am going somewhere with this. Just bear with me.
Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving—and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity came out yesterday. I am very rarely a "have to get this book this instant" kind of person. I have a few authors whose release dates I track, but these days, I am more likely to put books on hold at the library. It's hard to swallow $20 for a hardcover new release that I'm only planning to read once.
But I knew I'd want to actually own a copy of this book, so I went 20 minutes out of my way on yesterday's commute so I could pick up the copy Barnes & Noble had set aside for me (great time-saver, that). The book was so tempting that every time I stopped at a red light, I couldn't resist picking it up and flipping through it--almost always hitting on a bit that sounded so much like me that I didn't want to put it down. I've read books about running before, but this is the first one I've wanted to read cover to cover in one sitting.
Now I know that I barely have any readers who are also runners and I don't (that I know of) have any readers who are running mothers. But still, bear with me because I think maybe I'm going somewhere with this that applies to mothers in general. At the very least, it describes what is for me a very complex relationship: me and running (moms, insert pretty much any activity you do *just* for you in place of running). Here is an excerpt from the book that really hit home with me (and let's hope I am not sued for copyright violation):
The life of a mother is full of nonnegotiables. There's really no choice about cleaning up a puke-filled crib at 3 A.M. It's got to be done....in order to be a runner, you have to make a choice. And that choice is you: you over family, you over work, you over PTA and book club and being the parent volunteer on the field trip to the science museum. You have to decide you deserve to take enough time in a week--2 hours or so, at least--where running, and consequenly you, is the priority.
And isn't that true of pretty much anything we, as mothers, do that isn't related either to work or to childcare? Maybe that's just me and my weird Catholic guilt, but I think this--in essence--is what makes us different than fathers, though I don't know why. Is it our genetic makeup? A martyr complex? Is it solely a working mother thing? I honestly don't know. But it seems to me that our struggle, as mothers, not just to find those two hours a week but to actually TAKE them--without feeling guilty about it--is a topic worth thinking about, worth addressing. Currently, my training schedule demands more than two hours a week. I'd say it adds up to maybe...under four hours? Most of the time, though, I'm trying to fit it in when the kids are sleeping or when I'm on my lunchhour at work, so it probably does only amount to two hours a week where I am actively choosing to take time away from the children. And yet, I can't take those hours, embrace those hours, claim them as my own--even knowing that when I return, it will be as a saner, calmer, more patient person (granted, this newfound sense of peace only lasts a few hours).
I suppose it would be even more difficult if I had a husband who begrudged me these two, four, six hours a week, but I don't. In fact, there have been times when he has almost begged me to go for a run because it's so obvious that I need it.
So I'm asking you: What is it about motherhood that makes us feel like we have to put ourselves last? And do you think that fathers share this same compulsion?





2 comments:
Well, I can tell you that my husband doesn't seem to feel guilty about taking the better part of an afteroon away from the kids to wash and wax his car, while I feel bad taking some time to go shopping by myself, even if the shopping is for things for the kids. I recognize the value of doing things that are just for me, but somehow never seem to get around to them. I do think it's a good point that fathers don't seem to carry around the same load of guilt, but on the other hand, Mike encourages me to feel less guilty about doing things alone. It's a strange conundrum: He wants me to do things for myself, I want to do things for myself, and the kids will certainly benefit from having the example of a woman who takes time for herself, but it's so much harder in practice than it is in theory.
That's exactly how I feel, too, Holli. Dean is always telling me the kids, house, etc., will be fine without me. Of course, my girls can guilt-trip the hell out of me all because I plan to go for a 30-minute run while they're watching TV anyway. For some reason, they don't do that to Dean.
Post a Comment