
I'm trying to tell you something about my life
Maybe give me insight between black and white
The best thing you've ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously,
it's only life after all
There are plenty of things I don't like about parenting. If you regularly read this blog, you can probably list some of them. I dislike having my sleep interrupted, though that is really less and less of an issue these days. I hate being puked on and will do anything I can to avoid it. I don't like when the three-year-old tells me she hates me, and I don't like when the six-year-old gets all sassy with me like she knows everything. Because, you know, she's SIX! But just about every parent will tell you that it's worth it (almost all of the time)--just like most women who have gone through labor (epidural or no) will tell you she'd do it all over again to become a parent. Because, in truth, being a parent is pretty cool a lot of the time. To wit:
1. Kids make you laugh--a lot. There is nothing more infectious than a three-year-old's giggles (except maybe an infant's giggles). And I challenge you not to get a laugh out of your six-year-old's firm belief that volcanoes "interrupt" rather than "erupt." (And really, she's got an interesting point).
2. They can see the forest for the trees. Few people would insist that toddlers or preschoolers are "big picture" kind of people. Because most of the time they're not. I mean, these little people seriously sweat the small stuff. On the other hand, they can bring an interesting innocent wisdom to life, which can be a nice wake-up call for adults who don't take play as seriously as work.
3. They look like you. Okay, this one isn't necessarily always true. My husband would be the first to cry "foul" here, as he doesn't think our children look the tiniest bit like him. Honestly, I don't see the girls for the "mini mes" people claim they are either. But it's still kind of neat to have people tell you these super-cute beings resemble you.
4. They love you. In fact, they might love you more than anyone else in the world. At the very least, it's a different kind of love.
5. They think you are the coolest person ever. This is different than #4 and is probably pretty age-dependant. But at their current ages, my girls think I am super cool (most of the time). They want their friends to know who I am and they want their teachers to know who I am. No one else in the world has ever found me this fascinating.
6. They say nice things to you. My girls compliment me more often than anyone else I know. In fact, Sadie walked into the room when I was changing yesterday (read: naked) and told me I was beautiful. Of course, when Ella heard this she kind of rolled her eyes as if this was the most ridiculous thing she'd ever heard, but whatever. Sadie has always been my favorite anyway. (Kidding!!!)
7. They bring unparalleled joy to holidays and birthdays. Christmas with kids can't be beat. And no one appreciates a birthday like a soon-to-be four-year-old.
8. They draw your attention to things you've long since stopped seeing. You paid no particular attention to dandelions gone to seed (or maybe you considered them a nuisance) until your kids started making wishes on them. And the fact that you can sometimes see the moon during the day is probably something you hadn't really thought much about until your kids noticed it for the first time.
9. They are blank canvases. As much as you most certainly leave your mark on your children, it's pretty amazing how unique and individual they are from a very early age. Ella seems to be a budding artist, but neither Dean nor I can draw. Sadie makes up all these cute little songs. It's pretty cool to watch these little people unfold.
10. Their victories are your victories. Sure, you've been able to tie your shoes for years. Same goes for reading. Now you get to do it all over again.
11. They're (almost) always happy to see you. And wherever they are is home.





1 comment:
Preach it, sister! I say Amen!
Debbie A-H
Post a Comment