7/12/2010

3 down, 13 to go

Week 3 was a cutback week, and as lazy as it seemed to cut back after only two weeks of training, my legs definitely needed it. In fact, they could still use a whole week off, and I've already got a sense of the little, niggling injuries that will be my constant companions over the next 13 weeks. I get out of bed in the middle of the night and can barely walk. Maybe more stretching will help.

One thing that definitely did *not* help: Went to a wine-tasting party on Saturday night and somehow ended up getting a bit tipsy. I say "somehow" because it really didn't seem like I'd had that much to drink. I am realizing now that this whole marathon training thing is going to put a damper on my social life. Even if I plan long runs for Saturday mornings (I'm usually too wiped on Friday nights to do much of anything anyhow), that still ruins Saturday evening since I'll be passed out by 8:00. At the very least, I learned two things this week:
1. Try to arrange your long run so that it doesn't fall immediately after a wine-tasting party.
2. When you are headed out for a run on a hot, humid day and are slightly hungover, it's a very good idea to at least have a glass of water before you leave.

This week, we're looking at 3, 3, 4, and 9--just in case you want to follow along at home.

As I head into this fourth week, I  have to give a shout out to the husband, who took the kids to a carnival Saturday night so I  could attend the wine tasting, then got up early on Sunday morning so I could sleep in, then took the kids to the grocery store (which is really not fun at all, trust me) so I could tackle my hungover long run. He is also the only person in our house right now who doesn't see me dressed in running clothes and proceed to lay a huge guilt trip on me (yes, I'm looking at you too, Moe!). It's amazing to me the amount of resentment my girls can pack into the words, "You're going running AGAIN?!" But the husband is singularly supportive, never complains about the time demands this training schedule imposes on our family, and *probably* doesn't even secretly resent me for it.

Sadly, it looks like I'll soon be coming to that dreaded point in the schedule where I need to start getting up at 6 on the weekends to get my long runs in. Boo. There is nothing in this world that I like as much as sleep. Okay, that's not exactly true, but seriously: I need about 14 hours of sleep a night. Things are about to get hairy.

No comments: