5/11/2011

WMG, It's Not for Sissies

I am afflicted with a terrible case of Working Mother's Guilt, or WMG. Because I work full-time, I feel compelled to also attend every school function, field trip, Girl Scout ceremony, soccer practice and game--you name it. Both this year and last year, I volunteered as a room parent in Ella's class. Do you know how much juggling it takes for a mom who works full-time (especially when part of that is FREELANCE work that is paid by the hour??) has to do to volunteer at the class Halloween party? A LOT.


During a Monday afternoon soccer practice (which I had to rush to directly after work; basically, I walk into the door and then turn around and walk back out to supervise the 5 YO at the playground while the 7 YO practices soccer), I had a conversation with a mom who stays home. Somehow the topic of volunteering came up, and she mentioned that she doesn't volunteer at school because she has a little one at home and can't afford to pay a babysitter.  I thought, "Well, that makes sense." And then realized, "Hey, so do I!" But has that stopped me from rearranging my work schedule AND getting a sitter so I can volunteer at a Halloween party? Nope. I'm not at all saying that this SAHM at soccer practice is somehow lesser than me for having the ability to say "no." I'm instead suggesting that I'm a freaking lunatic for trying to work full-time and still volunteer for every single stupid thing that comes along. I mean, does it really MATTER whether I'm at Ella's Bridging to Brownies ceremony? Probably not, but I'll still be losing an hour's worth of pay to attend.

Now the five-year-old has a field trip on Monday that she BEGGED me to attend. So, of course, being a total chump loving, dedicated mother, I signed myself up to chaperone. Then promptly realized two things: First, chaperoning on a Monday means sacrificing a very precious PTO day that I'll surely need later. And two, chaperoning on this particular Monday is especially problematic because I have a deadline on Wednesday, and if I'm out Monday, that means the first day I'm actually in the office next week is Wednesday. And I can't come in Tuesday because that is a freelance day and I can't afford to sacrifice the pay.

Suffice it to say, I'm screwed and should learn to leave well enough alone. Meanwhile, I haven't heard from Sadie's teacher regarding whether or not she wants or needs me to be a chaperone, so I can't even request the time off from work.

Maybe it would all be worth it if I felt the girls really appreciate the sacrifices I make to be everywhere all at once. But they don't. And I'm slowly going insane. So...?

No comments: