10/03/2007

There Goes My Faith in Humanity

So, we've had a new nanny for a month now. And she seemed awesome. Responsible, mature, reliable. The girls liked her. We liked her. Wonderful.

She did not show up for work on Tuesday. She also did not call or respond to our numerous voicemail messages.

It didn't seem like her. I got worried. I spent my ENTIRE day on Tuesday trying to find a way to get in contact with either her boyfriend or her parents. I thought something had HAPPENED to her. Finally, last night, I contacted her reference, who offered to call both of her parents. She left messages. I talked to her today, and she still hadn't talked to anyone. She promised to call but hasn't.

In the meantime, I blocked our phone number and called the nanny's cell. Guess what? Someone answered. A female. At a happening party. I asked "Is this N?" and she hung up. She. Hung. Up.

I've been worried sick about this girl for two days now. Ella is asking where she is. Telling me all the things she wants to show her--all our Halloween decorations are up. Tonight when she went to bed, I told Ella that I didn't think Nicole was coming back. And I swear she almost started crying.

Why the HELL would someone do this? She has my e-mail address? Is it so freaking hard to send an e-mail saying "Hey, I quit."

I just still can't wrap my head around it. I thought we'd found this absolutely fantastic person to leave our BABIES with. And this is what happened.

So now, how the hell do I leave my babies with someone else?

What kind of person does something like that? Anyone? I just can't fathom. We had no arguments. No falling outs. She seemed happy. She'd made plans for this week with my kids and said, "See you next week" when she left on Thursday. What the hell? I just can't believe it. I keep thinking there is some rational explanation, but the facts seem pretty plain.

Guess I'm back to looking for a nanny. Yay!

2 comments:

jello331 said...

Natalie,

I have loved keeping up with the girls' shenanigans on your blog. I'm so sorry to hear about the new nanny! Why oh why are normal people so hard to find?!

Laura

Holli said...

That really sucks! She at least could have let you know. Neat trick with the phone blocking, though -- I never would have thought to do that. Hope the search goes quickly and well this time.