11/05/2008

Can You Feel It?

Unless you've been living under a rock the past 24 hours, you know that Barack Obama will be our next president. Never before have I felt so energized by an election. Never before have I felt so patriotic. Never before has our country seemed so full of promise. I've barely been awake for an hour. And yet, everywhere I go, the air is charged with an electric intensity. People at Corner Bakery (where I stopped for coffee and a bagel) were talking about it. People here at work are celebrating (though it should come as no surprise that people in my line of work are predominantly democrats). I don't ever recall an election morning after that left so many people buzzing--but in a good way. And whether you love Barack or hate him, you have to admit that the response he has prompted in the electorate is nothing short of awe-inspiring. He has made so many of us feel like our voice does count. He has inspired so many people who would normally stay home to get out the vote. Honestly, I'd have been willing to stand in a two-hour-long line yesterday to have my vote counted (I didn't have to, thank goodness). Never before have I been so eager to cast a vote.

The other night, Ella brought up the election. I guess they've been discussing it at school. Ella asked me who I wanted for president. And as I tried to explain why it would be so cool if Barack Obama was elected president, I found myself in a conversation about race--a subject I've never really addressed with her. Trying to explain to a four-year-old that some people once thought (still think?) that the color of a person's skin defined who they were and what they were capable of was a daunting task. Because, when you put it into words, it sounds so incredibly stupid. It's clear to me that Ella didn't quite get it. And I think maybe that's a good thing because it means race doesn't matter to her. Doesn't ever *occur* to her. I hope that's always the case. And truthfully, as much as race factors into making this election truly historic, it doesn't matter. I am inspired by Obama not because of his race but because of who he is and what he stands for. I know I'm not the only one. I believe change is afoot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so cool, Nat! I thought about you last night and wondered if you'd battled the crowds to attend. My co-worker's daughter was there and just mesmerized. It was definitely a historically significant day, and I agree that it's pretty neat our children will never really remember the days when there weren't minority leaders.