11/19/2008

One of Those Days

Sigh. So I was on my way to a doctor's appointment. Running late. I pick up my phone, and the "missed call" light is flashing. I check my work voicemail (the light was flashing there too) and pick up a call from Dean. He tells me that Sadie seemed to be feeling poorly again and had taken a two-hour nap in the morning (not usual) and wasn't eating. As I'm trying to read directions to this doctor's office (which I'd never been to before) and drive and avoid getting in an accident, Dean and I tried to figure out what to do. Should one of us head home? We decided it made more sense for him to head home and that I would plan to stay home tomorrow. We hang up, and I remember I have a meeting tomorrow afternoon. I call him back and tell him I'll head home after my appointment. I finally get there (late because of a freight train) and am worried about getting out of there and getting home. Of course--because this is how my day is going--I had left my cell phone in the car. I run out to retrieve it and have ANOTHER message. Apparently, Sadie is now fine. Lovely. I'd already requested the afternoon off. Sigh. And to think I'd been ready to ditch my doctor's appointment so I could get home to Sadie. As I was heading back up to the doctor's office in the elevator, I ran into this maintenance guy who sighed heavily and told me he was having one of those days. We shared a nice moment of camaraderie when I revealed that I, too, was having one of those days. Though, truth be told, it has stretched on so long at this point, that we might as well call it one of those months.

Anyhow, after finding out I have (another) sinus infection, I left and tried to figure out what to do. [Side note: I actually don't think it's *technically* hypochondria when you actually have what you diagnosed yourself with. Granted, I don't have the MS or the brain tumor--that I know of--but I got the sinus infection thing right.] I had already taken the afternoon off work. I haven't run since Sunday, so I considered just getting my run in for the day. But I was also STARVING, so I didn't think this plan would work. In the end, I came back to work.

So now this evening, I need to get prescriptions filled, pick up cream for Ella's eczema, make dinner, and hope I can get out the door for a run before anyone else throws up. Sigh. I start to feel very "off" when I go this many days without running (though I did get 11 miles in over the weekend), and something tells me that tonight's run is going to get canceled for one reason or another. Honestly, it blows my mind that I was able to find so many reasons to blow off the gym BEFORE I had kids. I mean, what the hell else did I have to do??

Say a prayer for my sanity. It's slipping away quickly.

No comments: