11/24/2008

The Cutback Week to End All Cutback Weeks

When you are working toward a longer race, training schedules typically have designated "cutback" weeks--a week where you run a bit less than you were running in previous weeks. So, for instance, if you've had two weeks in a row where your long run was at 10 miles, you might have a cutback week where your run was 7 or 8 miles. Then the following week, you would push the mileage again and do a long run of maybe 11 miles.

All of that to explain that last week was *the* ultimate cutback week for me. I ran a measly six miles (that's for the entire week). It's the lowest weekly mileage I've logged since last JANUARY. I typically shoot for 20 to 25 miles a week, a goal I've been having serious trouble meeting lately (I've been managing to get fairly close to 20 though). The early darkness is one obstacle. I try to get in one "longer" run of about four or five miles during the work week. But I can no longer do this in the evening because it's too freaking dark out. And the idea of going to the gym to log miles on the treadmill leaves something to be desired. The treadmill is just so stifling.

Last week was a bad week at my house. We were all sick in various fashions (with the sole exception of Ella). I got in a fantastic run Wednesday night (even though it did involve a stop on the way there and back to drop off/pick up a prescription). I ran along Addison, which made me feel somewhat safer because of all the traffic and people and lights. But even that route left me feeling like a woman running in the dark alone (even along a very busy street) is a recipe for disaster. The run itself was fantastic though. I managed to keep my pace in the 9's, and everything just clicked.

I ran again on Saturday--just another measly three-mile run because I wasn't feeling quite right. It showed in my pace. I ran a full minute or two slower per mile. Nothing clicked. Everything felt wrong. I had been shooting for a four-miler but cut it to three and called it a day.

And that, my friends, is all she wrote when it comes to last week's running. A very subpar week--and not just in terms of running. I'm feeling tired and overwhelmed lately. Overextended and crazed. Family drama has me so completely exhausted. I feel like I'm playing by a set of rules that no one else has even read.

Running has become a solace but even that is failing me lately. I have nothing to train for, which means no training schedule to follow. This leaves me feeling lost and adrift. I think ahead to some big races I'm considering for 2009 and know that I need to keep my mileage steady if I'm going to be ready to kick into full training gear in January or February. But my motivation is lagging. I'm skipping my lunchtime runs to take care of stupid Christmas errands than can wait another month. It's like I'm looking for any excuse. The very act of changing into running clothes seems like too much work lately. (Sigh)

In any case, I think the only way to move forward from a bad running week is to plan ahead for a good running week. This week should look something like this:

Monday: 3 miles
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: RACE (8K)
Friday: 4 miles
Saturday or Sunday: 9 miles
Total: 25 miles

Here's hoping you (and I!) have a good week ahead, running or otherwise.

No comments: