12/08/2008

It's Not You, It's Me

I'm sure that Running thinks that I'm just not that into it lately. I mean, we were so hot and heavy in the months leading up to the Half, but lately we hardly spend any time together at all. I keep telling Running that next week will be different. Next week will surely be the week that we break 20 for the first time in a long time. Next week we'll Go All the Way and manage a long run together. But I keep breaking my promises to Running.

The truth is, Running, you're kind of needy. You're kind of time-consuming. You might want more than I have to give. But really, it's not you. It's me. I was totally planning to get that 8-miler in this weekend. I was looking forward to spending some quality time with you. I mean, I went running in the snow on Saturday. Sure, it was only three miles, but that should be some indication of my commitment to you. But then by Sunday, I was sick. I had a terrible sore throat, and I could only bring myself to do another 3-miler. I know that last week's mileage fell far short of what we'd planned for our week together. I really wanted to run 22 miles last week. But that damned cold struck, and I felt lucky to eek out 13 miles. I really do still like you, Running. I think about you a lot. I talk about you a lot. Even when we're not togehter, you're still on my mind. And I promise that this week will be our week. Just you and me, on the open road (or the treadmill, as the case may be). I'm still committed to you, Running. I just needed a little space. It might even have been good for our relationship (my plantar fascitis seems much better lately).

This week will be different. Here's what I have planned for us:
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Friday: 4 miles
Saturday: 7/8 miles
Sunday: 3 miles

Total: 20/21 miles

So until tomorrow, Running, I bid you a fond farewell. And don't even start grumbling about not seeing me today. I mean, we spent the last three days in a row together. It can't always be about you.

No comments: