11/17/2009

Sadie's New Haircut, or Why You Should Never Leave the Safety Scissors Within Your Preschooler's Reach


I wanted to make the title of this post longer, but Blogger stopped me. So much for creative license. The actual title of this post is: Sadie's New Haircut, or Why You Should Never Leave the Safety Scissors Within Your Preschooler's Reach Even If You THINK She Knows that Said Scissors Are Only for Cutting Paper. Take that, Blogger!

So yes, Sadie followed in the footsteps of preschoolers everywhere yesterday when she gave herself a quick haircut in the upstairs bathroom--apparently while also following in the footsteps of budding liars everywhere as she assured my FIL that she was using the bathroom and just "needed some privacy." The thing is, my FIL forgot to mention it to me when he left. Ten minutes later, Sadie came downstairs. And, okay, there was some (mild) yelling that happened after that. This came on the heels of finding out Ella got (yet another) time-out at school, and even though it was possibly unwarranted, I was already crabby. Sadie, of course, burst into tears and shouted, "I hate you!"--thus following in the foosteps of teenagers everywhere. Yes, my children are nothing if not precocious.

Now, I will jump in here and admit (since I know that my mom is loving this story right about now) that I cut MY own hair as a child. Though, since I was already in kindergarten when I committed the offense, I really, really should have known better. It's also worth noting that I did a REAL hatchet job on my hair and paid for it with a really bad haircut for all of first grade. I'll also admit that at the time I never realized how horrified my mother must have been (I was cute before the haircut, not so cute after). I honestly can't remember whether or not I was yelled at, but I'll just take this opportunity to apologize retroactively.

So anyway, I scolded, which prompted Sadie to burst into tears that Ella then tried to console (she's at her best in her role of big sister when I'm in "less than patient" mode, though it's not like I scolded Sadie that harshly. Of course, these days you can't say no to Sadie at all without her dissolving into fits of tears and "I hate yous" so she was going to cry no matter what I said or how I said it unless what I said was, "Wow! Great haircut you gave yourself!"). Then we headed to Fantastic Sams where they fixed Sadie's mess for $8.95 while Sadie justified her actions by turning the blame squarely on my shoulders, saying, "You should have taken me to get a haircut over the weekend." Okay, then. As long as we're ALL clear from now until eternity that pretty much everything is my fault.

Truth be told, Sadie looks pretty darn cute--even if her hair is still slightly crooked. And, if we're really being honest here, this is probably my fault for being so free with the safety scissors. Though I have to note that I *just* had a conversation with both children about what we do and do not cut with the scissors. Hair was one of the first things on the "do not cut" list. I guess I'd have been more successful if I'd actually asked her to cut her own hair. Then her hair would still be on her head, just like how the jacket I constantly ask her to hang up is always on the floor.

The best part is that when I finally went upstairs (much later), I found a pile of hair on the floor and all over the sink. I guess it didn't occur to Sadie to cover her own tracks. But then, why should she bother to try to hide all evidence of the crime when it was my fault that she had to cut her own hair to begin with?

No comments: