11/11/2009

Unraveling

Ella's newly knitted scarf started unraveling this week, which seemed a fitting metaphor for the way the peace and calm I gained while on our mini-getaway has unraveled as this week has progressed. My resolve to put running first has unraveled too, as evidenced by the fact that it is Wednesday, and I haven't run since Sunday. Overall, it has been a crummy week with bad news on top of bad news coupled with minor annoyances--like the fact that the f-ing fireplace people got crud all over our chair (though they assure us it will brush right off when it dries--yeah right!) and the loveliness that was Dean installing a new kitchen faucet to replace our currently very leaky one only to find that the new faucet (once completely installed, mind you) was not working properly. Plus, I was bombarded with annoying assignments at work on Monday night. Plus... Well, let's just say a little GOOD news wouldn't hurt right now.

On a more positive front, one of my coworkers is an accomplished knitter, and she helped me salvage the mess that was Ella's unraveling scarf, which has now been reknitted and properly bound off. As we were unraveling the scarf (and by "we," I mean my coworker), we found this totally random string to nowhere that I'm still mystified about. I also learned that the way to fix stitches that have been pulled loose is NOT to snip them with a scissors (which is something I was dumb enough to do). There's definitely a learning curve to this knitting thing, especially considering that I'm not particularly known for my common sense. (Did I ever tell you about the time that I washed the toaster inside and out in the kitchen sink? Needless to say, the toaster was clean when all was said and done, but it never worked again.) Anyhow, Ella will be thrilled to have her completed scarf back. (Thanks again, Debbie!!) Elsewhere on the knitting front, I tried to start Sadie's blanket yesterday, but it didn't go well. Today I chose a different pattern (knit with thicker yarn on bigger needles) and am ready to give it a go tonight--provided I am not once again slammed with work. Which ... given the way this week is going, I definitely wouldn't count on. And that's a mighty shame because I had ALSO planned to get a run in this evening. I guess I'll just look forward to our next vacation (which isn't even on the horizon let alone planned) for my next taste of calm and balance....

No comments: