This was a topic of conversation with a friend of mine recently, who posited that it only gets harder to take such leaps as you get older (not the going to the gym leap, which I actually do sometimes get around to making a decision about, but the bigger, life-changing leaps). All the talk about leaping got me to thinking about an e-mail I got yesterday.
Via Facebook from a friend of mine who has a son in kindy:
Just thought you should know that I heard Ella and M have been jumping off of high things trying to break their arms like L.
Now I'd heard this same thing from M's mom on Friday. And when I asked Ella (who I really, really thought was smarter than that) about it, Ella said, "M is doing it! Not me!" Okay, fine. Then I got this e-mail yesterday, and Ella now claimed "I WAS doing it before but I'm NOT anymore!" The tears started when I threatened to e-mail Ella's teacher and ask that Ella not be allowed out at recess anymore. I mean, what the hell? How do you protect a child that makes such stupid choices?
Of course, Ella's main concern for the rest of the night was who told me. And then she was really worried that "everyone would be talking" about this. Well...I don't know. If you are throwing yourself off things in the hopes of breaking a BONE, I'm not sure I understand why you'd object to being talked about. Just saying. I've never heard of anything so stupid in all my life. I took the opportunity to point out that the things Ella does get back to me in a variety of ways. I'm friends with the parents of a lot of her friends. We're living in a pretty tight little community now, and the parents talk--not in a bad way but in a "it takes a village" kind of way. Just think of how handy that will be when this child is in high school!
I have now spent about 12 hours explaining to Ella that A) A broken arm hurts and requires a trip to the emergency room, and B) When your arm is in a cast, you can not go swimming, which means she'll spend the entire summer in street clothes while the rest of us are in the pool. Hopefully I made an impression. I can pretty much guarantee that this wasn't Ella's idea to begin with, but what can you do? Sigh.
(Editor's Note: Please don't mention this to Ella as I've already spoken to her about it, and I'd rather not make it a bigger deal than it needs to be.)





3 comments:
Speaking as a child who was a big fan of jumping off high things I can assure you that there are dumber things she could be doing. Although, doing it with the goal of breaking one's arm does seem to speak to some sort of deeper issue.
See, I had been banking on the fact that two girls meant I didn't have to worry about that kind of stuff. Apparently I was wrong. I guess I also underestimated the cache of having a cast because after talking to other moms, I realize that many other kindgartners are coming home with pretend casts that they've made out of paper towels. I guess this is how my kid stands out from the masses. She doesn't just WISH for a cast. She takes the bull by the horns and tries to make it happen! The real b*tch is that Ella isn't half the daredevil her sister is, which is sort of scary to consider.
Post a Comment