5/20/2010

The Middle

I think I'm going through a midlife crisis of sorts lately, though I'm not sure I qualify as middle-aged. I mean, when does that happen exactly? I suppose there was a time when I thought mid-3os was pretty old (though in my defense, I'm not even MID yet), but lately that seems pretty young to me. All about perspective, I suppose. So really, it's not so much that I feel old as it is that I feel...I'm not sure. The way I explained it to Dean yesterday is that I feel like all of our big, exciting stuff is behind us. (Yes, he thinks I'm ridiculous.) I mean, I fell in love, got married, had the babies, bought the house. What's left? If I could get someone else on board (ahem!), this is the point where I'd decide to have another baby, except that sleepless nights are probably not the answer. Plus, it's not like I'm lacking for things to do. And really, two kids? Plenty. (Although I am ready to revisit the dog thing.)

A college-aged cousin of mine posted on Facebook recently that middle-aged suburban moms should not wear tinted lip gloss. Since then, I have been trying to understand what is wrong about that. I mean, I don't wear tinted lip gloss (or lipstick of any kind usually) and I don't really consider myself middle-aged (as we've established), but why not? This same cousin later posted that you should not be in Forever 21 unless you are in your 20s or are shopping for your daughters. I don't shop at Forever 21 but suddenly I felt like I wanted to. Then when I revealed my crush on Zach Ephraim (no, I won't apologize!), someone called me a cougar. Seriously?? He's 22 or 23, and I'm 34. Does that really make me a cougar? (And let's just forget the very obvious fact that it's not going to happen regardless.)

All I know for certain are two things: 1. When I am around a group of 12 kids ages 8 and below, I really don't feel like the authority figure they seem to view me as. And 2. A 34-year-old mom listening to Hannah Montanna on purpose in her Mazda 5 when there are no kids in the car should DEFINITELY keep the windows rolled up. There are some things the world doesn't need to know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's what I think (the wisdom of a 40 year old suburban mom here....):

You are in that weird spot where your youngest child is growing up, your life is "shifting"...and it's just plain weird. It happens, and it's unsettling. It will happen to me next year when my youngest is in full-day school, but at least I know it's coming now. Give it a year or so, you'll be fine.

I have not shopped at Forever 21, but I wear tinted lip gloss if my teens leave it in the bathroom. No shame here!

You are SO NOT middle aged! No way, no how. I am going to live to be 100, I've decided, so even *I* am not in the middle just yet. So no more of that "middle aged" talk, young lady.

Laurie in OH

p.s. I "lost" your blog for a bit, but found it again this morning. Made my day. :)