11/03/2010

You Know You're a Runner When...

A few months ago, I attended this Running for Dummies seminar at the local running store. The speaker started by listing the ways you know you are a runner. Like being excited about a short and easy 8-miler because last week's long run was 13 miles. That sort of thing.

Anyhow, among her list was this little gem: You know you're a runner when at least one of your toenails has turned black. It hadn't happened to me at that point, but I think it was the only thing on the list I couldn't relate to.

Last night, I removed the toenail polish I put on before the marathon to reveal not one but THREE black toenails. I had no idea that had happened! Of course, my first reaction was: "Yes! I am a REAL runner now!"

Of course, my second reaction was: "Wow. That's ugly as hell!"

I've got battle scars, people. But I think I'm going to cover them with some red-hot toenail polish.

No comments: