My sweet, sweet baby is transforming into a toddler--willful, disobedient, prone to tantrums. We've left the golden age of babyhood behind (defined by Dean and I as between about 6 to 15 months) and have entered a new phase: The Reign of Toddler Terror.
Okay, that's a bit of an overstatement. Sweet Sadie is pretty far from becoming a terror. But I do think we're entering the phase so fondly known as "The Terrible 2s." As an parent can attest, this phase actually begins before 2. And it's not nearly as terrible (from my experience) as the "Ferocious 3s."
All drama aside (now that I've scared any non-baby-having people from ever wanting babies!), Sadie is still pretty darn sweet. But lately, her favorite words are "Mine!" and "No!" Yep--she's becoming a toddler. She is also devilish in a way that Ella never was. She knew, for instance, that she was not supposed to climb the stairs at the vacation house. So, if ever the gate were down, she'd head right over there, make SURE to catch my eye, shout "No!," and then climb up the stairs with a huge grin on her face. If I headed up after her, she started laughing hysterically and climbed faster. Truth be told, I can't help but find this extremely funny.
To commemorate the beginning of toddlerhood in all its glory, Sades had her 15-month checkup yesterday. Her stats: 20 pounds, 10 ounces (25th percentile) and 31 inches (75th percentile). Yep--still a peanut. I'd have thought for sure she was well beyond 20 pounds by now. Good thing we haven't turned her car seat yet.
I didn't make it to the appointment (I had to work), but Dean reports that Sadie was very charming. Knowing that Sadie has been walking since 9 months, our pediatrician asked whether she is getting into all sorts of trouble. She is indeed. Climbing on top of tables, hanging from the bathroom sink--you name it, Sadie has climbed it. The other day, I found her with her leg over the side of her crib (I'd accidentally left the side down--oops!). Anyone want to place bets on how long it is until she figures out how to escape it?
Anyhow, at 15 months, the pediatrician wants Sadie to say at least 4 words. She says around 40-50 (I haven't actually counted, but it's definitely up there). She is adding new words every day. Just yesterday, she added "doctor" and "shot." And we're realizing that she also knows "pink," "yellow," "green," "orange," "purple," and "blue." She also knows most of her body parts. The upshot is that Sadie has quite an impressive vocabulary. It rivals her sister's at this age, which means two things: 1) She'll probably be speaking in full sentences in the next month or two (beyond "What is this?," which she says 600 times a day), and 2) We're going to need to invest in some ear plugs! Because there is a whole lot of talking going on in our house. So, Dean: I'll talk to you in about 16 years!
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment