9/20/2007

Lesson #6,450: Your Sister Is Not a Punching Bag

Earlier this week, Ella and I went for a run. We tend to have our most meaningful and philosophical conversations during these evening jogs (like our first discussion about God, AKA the boy Ella used to live with in the sky).

So, Ella is asking me about my day. I talk her through it, and we get to the part of my day where Ella (shortly after I arrived home) shoved Sadie. The following conversation ensued:

Ella: And then I pushed Sadie, and you were frustrated at me.

Me: Well, it's not nice to push Sadie. She's just a baby, and you could really hurt her.

Ella: Sometimes she is just in my way.

Me: That's not a good reason to push someone. Someday soon, Sadie is going to start pushing you back, and you won't like that.

(No response, so I try a different tactic)

Me: You know, you have a very important job to do. You need to teach Sadie how to act nicely. If she sees you pushing and hitting, she is going to think it's okay to push and hit people. You need to show Sadie how nice girls treat their friends.

Ella (totally exasperated with me): Well... Well... (She sighs) Mommy--that's just a really hard job.

Welcome to my world, kid!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh sisterhood. It's a constant love hate battle. (More love than hate of course.)

BTW - Happy Anniversary to you and Dean the Dream!