2/05/2008

In Which We Discover What the Heck Sadie Is Talking About

Lately, Sadie has been talking incessantly about Max. Which would be unremarkable except for the fact that she doesn't know anyone named Max.

Then, she started coming up with these weird phrases:

"I'm cold and lonely."

"It's the middle of the night."

Hmmm. Then one day, she went on a tirade about how Max wouldn't share the remote. I mentioned this to Dean, and we finally "got" it: She was talking about Max the duck from Duck at the Door.

Over the weekend, I happened upon the book while at the library (it must have been fated because I had no idea who the author even was). Later, Sadie and I read it, and I was enlightened further. Max is "cold and lonely," and he knocks on someone's door when "it's the middle of the night."

I don't know whether other kids do this too, but both girls are able to memorize books after hearing them a few times. Then instead of us reading to them, they "read" to us. I have visions of the free time I'm going to have once these children actually learn to read.

No comments: