1/26/2009

In This Episode of Inappropriate Gym Behavior....

Maybe my standards are too high. Maybe--just maybe--I am expecting too much from people. I'll grant you that it's possible other people would not be annoyed by cell phone talker (from my previous gym behavior post). Perhaps I am just easily irritated? But honestly, I'm not expecting the Y atmosphere to be my own personal workout nirvana. Frankly, my workout nirvana is located outdoors, where there are also plenty of annoying people to be found (at the top of my list are dog owners who do not keep their dogs on leashes and/or do not keep their dogs under control. I've been attacked twice this year while running and one of those times, the freaking dog would have drawn blood had I not been wearing three layers of clothing).

Still, it seems to me that cutting your toenails in the gym locker room assaults both common decency and a number of BASIC etiquette and hygiene rules. And I'm not just talking about clipping one's toenails and disposing of them in a proper receptacle. Oh, no. I'm talking about clipping one's nails onto the FLOOR. COME ON, PEOPLE! Does it not occur to you that this might gross other people out? I'm not a squeamish person by any means. But I tend to limit the cutting of my nails to a private time and place. It's something I don't even like to do in front of my husband, and you all know that we have a pretty liberal open-door bathroom policy (against our will, but still).

I just can't fathom what would make someone cut their toenails in the gym locker room, let alone leave the clippings for some unsuspecting barefoot soul to walk through. Trust me--if I can find a few private minutes in my week to cut my nails, then you can too.

Of course, it's possible that I'm altogether too sensitive, so I'll put it to a poll. Do our esteemed governor proud, and vote early and often!

In the meantime, stay tuned for my next installment of inappropriate gym behavior.

2 comments:

JC said...

My favorite is when they do it on public transportation. I've seen with thine own eyes!

Anonymous said...

NOTHING beats the story of the naked lady eating something strange (what the heck was it???) in the sauna. That story (minus important details, it seems) is forever burned in my memory.

However, I will say this is a close second when it comes to strange behavior at the gym. Yuck, yuck, and yuck.

Laurie in OH