New Year's resolutions. I haven't made one yet, so it's likely not going to happen. But I can tell that *other* people have made resolutions based on the sheer madness that is going on at the Y right now. As uncharitable as this may sound, I absolutely hate this time of year. All of these people and their newfound resolutions to lose weight or exercise more really screw up the regularly scheduled program at the Y. On Sunday, there was no room for more kids at the maze. Yesterday, there were *almost* no treadmills available (fortunately, I know about the three hidden treadmills in the back room and was able to snag the last one). And the thing that really sort of bugs me is that people have their children working out with them (I'm not sure what the age requirement is at the Y--maybe 12?). The thing is, these kids aren't actually working out--they're screwing around. And this just means less available machines for those of us who actually have an agenda. I don't have time to screw around when I go to the gym, and I don't have time to wait in line for a treadmill. And I'm certainly not going to try to occupy my kids for 30 minutes while we wait for two spots to open up in the maze. Believe me, I know how this sounds. But I am so time-crunched that half the time I don't have spare minutes for warming up, cooling down, or stretching out. So the madness at the gym is really putting a cramp in my style.
By March, the gym will empty out again as most people give up on their New Year's resolutions. And maybe that's what bothers me about trying to share the gym with these people for the next two months. If they're going to stick around and still be here in June or July or next October, that would be one thing. But I guarantee you that most of them will fade quietly into the night sometime between Valentine's Day and Easter.
Like I said, I know this is uncharitable. And I also know that if someone is going to have to skip a workout because there are no treadmills available or no spots in the maze, I can probably afford it more easily (purely from a fitness standpoint) than someone who hasn't worked out in a couple of months. I've even considered that maybe it's the Y's fault for not having enough machines. Except, of course, the majority of the machines go unused for nine months out of the year, and I don't suppose it makes sense to add extra just to get over the hump of these next few months.
I guess there's nothing left to do but arrange some sort of joint custody agreement. Like, say, the gym newbies get the odd days of the month and the regulars get the evens?
Who knows, maybe this year will be different. If you've made a resolution to get to the gym more, here's to you! May we meet again in November. In the meantime, don't forget: You've got the odds. ;)
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





2 comments:
Try this: Sprinkle cheeseburgers near the front entrance. They may not take the bait, but at least you're planting the seed.
I was actually dreading this same thought...however, my dilemma only lasted till about Wednesday of this week. Maybe because it's the condo gym...anyhow, the last few days I've had the gym in the a.m. all to myself - which actually amazed me. I thought there would be a lot more action - considering they just added a fancy new flat screen TV!
Post a Comment