2/10/2010

Starbucks--Where Else?

We had an earthquake last night. EARTHQUAKE! Quick--everyone into the doorways. Because that's where you're supposed to stand during an earthquake, right? In truth, I woke at 4 A.M. and the door knobs were rattling. And, smart person that I am, I came to three conclusions:

1. We were supposed to have high winds last night, and I suggested to D that the door knobs were rattling because of the wind. Instead of saying, "Are you seriously that stupid?," the husband got out of bed and checked to see if it was windy. No dice.

2. Prowler. Because, you know, the first thing a prowler does is make lots of noise. A quick trip downstairs confirmed that the husband forgot to lock the back door last night. AGAIN. So, we may actually have had a prowler for all I know.

3. Ghosts. When #1 and #2 didn't pan out, I figured it was a ghost. Honestly, ghost trumps prowler in my mind.

Anyhow, I was in Starbucks this morning, and that's where I heard the news: We had an earthquake last night! I didn't know we could get those in Illinois. Funny. Had I not learned about the earthquake at Starbucks, I would have heard about it on Facebook. So there you have it: I now get my news from Starbucks and Facebook (only not in that order). Seriously, when everyone was doing that lame thing where they were posting inches (which I think were supposed to represent hair length but were supposed to make everyone think they were talking about male anatomy--hello? High school!), I thought, "We're getting snow tonight?" I first learned of the CTA cutbacks on Facebook. I found out about my grandma's husband's death on Facebook. I will not lie: I'm pretty sure the first I caught wind of an earthquake in Haiti was on Facebook.

This is either an interesting look at how we're all getting our news these days or a sad reflection on my world awareness. Probably both!

No comments: