6/29/2010

1 down, 15 to go

I know you're all dying* to know how marathon training is going. Last week was Week 1, and all runs were successfully completed (3, 3, 3, and 6) for a total of 15 miles. I've since tinkered with my training plan in acknowledgment of the fact that yes, three days of running is sweet, but four days of running make a lot more sense for this working mom. I'm now following Hal Higdon's novice marathon training plan (though I'll probably throw in some of the speed training from his intermediate plan), with elements of the RW plan thrown in for good measure. The weekly mileage adds up the same, but it is just not feasible to be running 7 miles, 4 miles, and 8 miles when I could be running 4, 4, 3, and 8. Same mileage, but it's easier to get a three-miler in on a lunch hour or before work than it is to get a seven-miler in, well, anywhere during the work week. It's still going to have to happen at some point, but we'll work that out when the time comes. I made sure to account for an upcoming vacation by making that a cutback week and by shifting the previous week's long run, and I'm feeling fairly confident and somewhat excited about the training. On tap this week: 3, 3, 3, and 8 for a total of 17 miles. Or maybe 4, 4, and 8. I think the key to being a mom on the run is flexibility, and I'm going to try (try!) to remember that.

*For those who really don't care about all this marathon nonsense, see below for a post that includes a picture of both kids AND a dog! It's MOE!!

No comments: