I know every parent believes this about their offspring, but I'm convinced mine are the very best. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind on this depending on what they are currently doing upstairs (they are very quiet) or on how long it takes them to go to bed tonight. It is my right as a parent.
Here is why they are the best. First of all, Ella took some sort of standardized tests at school that don't really seem to mean anything except that they compare her to the rest of her classmates. Not sure why. Maybe to prove she's the greatest? Anyhow, Ella scored in the 98th percentile for reading. That means she is better than 98% of the rest of the kids. See, she's the greatest. Predictably, she's like 56th% for math, which means she's better than most but not the. best. But who cares about math? I'd rather have a reader.
Then I present you with the final kindergarten report card. Surely a better harbinger of future success doesn't exist. Ella got the highest marks (highest!) on everything save two areas that are more behavior than academic (to wit, she is only average at getting along with others and at following rules, but I would wager that most adults are only average at those things too).
She is currently reading Harry Potter. Or was reading Harry Potter before I got fed up by the slow pace of her laborious reading and took over for her. Probably best not to get ahead of ourselves here. Especially if it delays bedtime too much.
Meanwhile, Sadie, who is only four (four!) swam on her own this weekend. All. On. Her. Own. Because she is the greatest. She also went down the resort's body slides all on her own. Dean and I discussed whether or not she was big enough and decided she was not. Five minutes later, in my infinite parental wisdom, I said to Sadie, "You don't want to try the big slides, do you?" She did. And we spent the rest of the weekend following her up the stairs and down the slides. Another reason Sadie rocks? She rode a two-wheeler on her own for the first time Memorial Day weekend. She's four! And she's swimming and riding a two-wheeler. Won't be long now before she moves out!
All in all, we had a lovely weekend away. Oh, right, I forgot that part. We went out of town this past weekend. To a waterpark hotel. Lovely weekend. Mostly well-behaved children (two of them were even mine!). It suddenly dawned on me that I can stay at hotels now and not stress over whether or not the children will go to sleep. For the longest time, a hotel stay meant a fight to get small people to sleep in strange places. Now they go to sleep with little fanfare (or they don't go to sleep but I don't particularly care as long as they are relatively quiet). We listened to audio books on our way up to Wisconsin: How to Eat Fried Worms, Frog and Toad Are Friends, and The Magic Tree House. They were a hit. Who needs DVD players in the car when you can listen to books? (Okay, I do want one, I'll admit.) At the resort, we swam five times (in two days!). We had lunch on the beach Saturday and Sunday. It was a solidly good weekend. Probably because my kids are the best. Except for right now because they are fighting.
Here is why they are the best. First of all, Ella took some sort of standardized tests at school that don't really seem to mean anything except that they compare her to the rest of her classmates. Not sure why. Maybe to prove she's the greatest? Anyhow, Ella scored in the 98th percentile for reading. That means she is better than 98% of the rest of the kids. See, she's the greatest. Predictably, she's like 56th% for math, which means she's better than most but not the. best. But who cares about math? I'd rather have a reader.
Then I present you with the final kindergarten report card. Surely a better harbinger of future success doesn't exist. Ella got the highest marks (highest!) on everything save two areas that are more behavior than academic (to wit, she is only average at getting along with others and at following rules, but I would wager that most adults are only average at those things too).
She is currently reading Harry Potter. Or was reading Harry Potter before I got fed up by the slow pace of her laborious reading and took over for her. Probably best not to get ahead of ourselves here. Especially if it delays bedtime too much.
Meanwhile, Sadie, who is only four (four!) swam on her own this weekend. All. On. Her. Own. Because she is the greatest. She also went down the resort's body slides all on her own. Dean and I discussed whether or not she was big enough and decided she was not. Five minutes later, in my infinite parental wisdom, I said to Sadie, "You don't want to try the big slides, do you?" She did. And we spent the rest of the weekend following her up the stairs and down the slides. Another reason Sadie rocks? She rode a two-wheeler on her own for the first time Memorial Day weekend. She's four! And she's swimming and riding a two-wheeler. Won't be long now before she moves out!
All in all, we had a lovely weekend away. Oh, right, I forgot that part. We went out of town this past weekend. To a waterpark hotel. Lovely weekend. Mostly well-behaved children (two of them were even mine!). It suddenly dawned on me that I can stay at hotels now and not stress over whether or not the children will go to sleep. For the longest time, a hotel stay meant a fight to get small people to sleep in strange places. Now they go to sleep with little fanfare (or they don't go to sleep but I don't particularly care as long as they are relatively quiet). We listened to audio books on our way up to Wisconsin: How to Eat Fried Worms, Frog and Toad Are Friends, and The Magic Tree House. They were a hit. Who needs DVD players in the car when you can listen to books? (Okay, I do want one, I'll admit.) At the resort, we swam five times (in two days!). We had lunch on the beach Saturday and Sunday. It was a solidly good weekend. Probably because my kids are the best. Except for right now because they are fighting.
If you click play on the video below, you'll see a small snippet of Sadie swimming. Remember: She's four!





No comments:
Post a Comment