6/03/2008

I Guess My Services Are No Longer Required

The minute I walk in the door after work, the girls are a whirlwind of activity. Ella has a bunch of stuff to tell me or show me. Sadie wants a Band-Aid or blankie or a pacifier. Ella wants to know if she can watch TV or play outside or build a fort with the couch cushions. And all the while, I'm trying to talk to our nanny or my father-in-law about the girls' day.

So yesterday, Sadie walks up to me as soon as I set foot in the door and asked me to change her diaper. I told her I would do so in a minute and continued to talk to my father-in-law about the day.

A few minutes later, Ella and Sadie are in Ella's room. Sadie is diaperless. Ella comes into the kitchen with a diaper and throws it in the trash.

"What's going on girls?" I ask. Ella says, "I just changed Sadie's diaper."

Alarm bells start going off in my head. I try to remain neutral as I picture poop all over the floor of Ella's room and all over the back of Sadie.

Me: "So, did she have poop?"

Ella: "Yep."

Me: "Did you use a wipe?"

Ella: "That's what I was going to do next."

She grabs a wipe and wipes her sister off. I try to take a turn of my own (Ella didn't quite get the job done), but Sadie flipped out: "NO! I WANT ELLA TO DO IT."

Then Ella grabbed a diaper. I helped her put it under Sadie, and she did the tabs all by herself.

So that's it, folks. I'm out of a job.

No comments: