Some days just come together so perfectly that about three-quarters of the way through, you realize you're creating what will become a fond memory. Our apple-picking adventure on Saturday was one of those days.
We headed out to an orchard near Dekalb on Saturday afternoon, taking advantage of the long, long drive to get naps in (of course, Dean didn't sleep because he was driving....). Upon arrival, the girls scoped out the large playground area while I waited in a really long line to buy an overpriced bag for the apples we would pick.
After the playground, the girls took a spin on an apple train, then we headed out into the orchards to pick some apples. The girls ate their fill of apples while we did our picking, though they quickly realized that it's hard to PICK apples while also trying to eat apples.
The apples at the closest end of the orchard had all been picked already, so we had to walk to the edges of the orchard to find trees that still had apples. I heard a number of people exclaim, "This is a LOT of walking!" I think we MAYBE walked a half a mile--if that. Do many people really consider this a lot of walking? At one point I joked to Dean that I was probably going to have to bag the 5K I'd planned for the next day because we had just done so much walking that I was beat.
After picking apples, the girls headed back to the playground for a bit. Then we tackled the corn maze. This was actually a pretty funny experience. Sadie whined for almost the entire walk, but it was unexpectedly amusing. Needless to say, we cut out of the maze at the halfway point, because the girls were spent.
Before getting back on the road, we stopped for dinner. We stumbled upon a Baker's Square, easily the best option we had for dining with two kids in tow. It saved us from having to eat Mcdonald's and also gave us a lovely opportunity to eat pie. What could be better?!
The drive home was long, and the girls were tired. Eventually, they got rather slap happy, and a hilarious round of nonsensical knock-knock jokes invoking various potty words ensued. I know we shouldn't encourage this sort of talk, but sometimes you just have to laugh and join the fun.
Last night, I made a delicious apple crisp with the apples we picked. We enjoyed a perfect fall meal of pepper steak (which the girls didn't eat) with apple crisp and ice cream for dessert (the girls don't like the apple crisp but that just means more for me!) and then watched The Muppet Movie. Now I am under strict orders to learn the other verses to the "Rainbow Connection" song. I also have plans to make apple bread or apple muffins. Needless to say, we have a whole lot of apples at our house right now!

Ella's new booster seat. I finally caved.

The apple train. This was the girls' favorite part of apple picking.


We headed out to an orchard near Dekalb on Saturday afternoon, taking advantage of the long, long drive to get naps in (of course, Dean didn't sleep because he was driving....). Upon arrival, the girls scoped out the large playground area while I waited in a really long line to buy an overpriced bag for the apples we would pick.
After the playground, the girls took a spin on an apple train, then we headed out into the orchards to pick some apples. The girls ate their fill of apples while we did our picking, though they quickly realized that it's hard to PICK apples while also trying to eat apples.
The apples at the closest end of the orchard had all been picked already, so we had to walk to the edges of the orchard to find trees that still had apples. I heard a number of people exclaim, "This is a LOT of walking!" I think we MAYBE walked a half a mile--if that. Do many people really consider this a lot of walking? At one point I joked to Dean that I was probably going to have to bag the 5K I'd planned for the next day because we had just done so much walking that I was beat.
After picking apples, the girls headed back to the playground for a bit. Then we tackled the corn maze. This was actually a pretty funny experience. Sadie whined for almost the entire walk, but it was unexpectedly amusing. Needless to say, we cut out of the maze at the halfway point, because the girls were spent.
Before getting back on the road, we stopped for dinner. We stumbled upon a Baker's Square, easily the best option we had for dining with two kids in tow. It saved us from having to eat Mcdonald's and also gave us a lovely opportunity to eat pie. What could be better?!
The drive home was long, and the girls were tired. Eventually, they got rather slap happy, and a hilarious round of nonsensical knock-knock jokes invoking various potty words ensued. I know we shouldn't encourage this sort of talk, but sometimes you just have to laugh and join the fun.
Last night, I made a delicious apple crisp with the apples we picked. We enjoyed a perfect fall meal of pepper steak (which the girls didn't eat) with apple crisp and ice cream for dessert (the girls don't like the apple crisp but that just means more for me!) and then watched The Muppet Movie. Now I am under strict orders to learn the other verses to the "Rainbow Connection" song. I also have plans to make apple bread or apple muffins. Needless to say, we have a whole lot of apples at our house right now!
Ella's new booster seat. I finally caved.
The apple train. This was the girls' favorite part of apple picking.





No comments:
Post a Comment