9/16/2008

Happily Sadie


After the daycare debacle, something is clearer to me than it ever was before: Sadie is a happy kid. This sounds like a no-brainer, and I always knew it on some level. But I'm not sure I realized how bright and shiny she is most of the time until I spent two weeks with a more subdued version of this kid. Now that grandpa is watching Sadie during the day, she is on fire. She's funny and giggly and just so sparkly. It's not something I would have paid particular attention to if we hadn't experienced those two weeks of a miserable Sadie.

Yesterday morning, I was wearing a pair of canvas flats. Sadie instantly set her sights on them: "I wish *I* had shoes like that," she sighed. Then, "Can I wear them?" Visions of my future flashed before my eyes: Me looking for my favorite pair of shoes only to find that one of my girls had snatched them out from under me. I guess if ten years from now my girls like my shoes enough to want to borrow them I'll be the "cool" mom, right?

When I got home yesterday evening, Sadie demanded my shoes and spent quite a while clomping around the house in them. Then she switched to my running shoes (which I think are still wet for Sunday's rain fest). She made me put my ipod armband on her and then ran across the house declaring, "I'm going running!" When I asked her whether or not I am a good runner, she shook her head soberly and said, "No. You are not a good runner." When I asked her why, she told me: "You always get the big medals." Clear as mud.

Later I started making dinner and Sadie insisted on "helping." I know I should be thrilled that I have a daughter who would rather help make dinner than watch TV. But honestly--a two-year-old isn't really much "help." She's thrusting her hands in my general direction while I'm trying to dice up vegetables. She's trying to climb onto the kitchen island and knocking stuff on the floor. It's just difficult to find something she can actually help with. We finally settled on her breaking the lettuce into pieces, which seemed to mollify her. The second anyone walks into the kitchen, Sadie is at the ready: "Can I heeellppp??"

In other news, Ella seems to be thriving in full-day preschool, especially now that she doesn't have to do after care. She is making friends with ease (although this has never been an issue for my social butterfly) and must really love school judging by the amount of time she spends at home*playing* school. We had a meeting at her school last week and learned a bit more about this year's curriculum and activities. I liked what I heard. Except, you know, when the teacher mentioned that Ella told her that I keep a blog and told everyone that J was her boyfriend. SO embarrassing. I had to tell the teacher that it wasn't me who decided J was Ella's boyfriend. I mean, I don't want the teacher to think I'm one of *those* parents. Also, to my utter delight, Ella ended our speculation over whether or not Miss Curie lives with her parents. Apparently, she asked her teacher this essential question, and the answer is "yes." I can only hope that she told Miss Curie her mommy wanted to know!!

It's a damn good thing Dean and I rarely fight in Ella's presence because I can only imagine the stories she'd tell at school....

Swimming started last week, and Ella continues to astound me with her talent. They are learning to swim the crawl (she's four!) and are also learning to dive. Cameras aren't really allowed on deck at the Y pool, but I might see if I can get away with it so I can capture some footage.

Ella can also count to 30 now (though she has this mental block against remembering 15). And she seems to be doing some prereading. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the child is gifted because it would be awesome if we can get her into a gifted kindergarten program for the fall of 2009. Either that, or we'll need to get her into the new Disney magnet in our neighborhood. Otherwise, it's Catholic education for my girl. And, well.... I think that might get confusing for her after a while.

No comments: