9/22/2010

She's on the Run

One of the things I've found most challenging about training for the marathon (or really any distance that requires weekend long runs) is the time away from the girls. This is partly because I feel like running is a purely selfish endeavor and partly because they make me feel guilty as hell every time I put on my running shoes (and now the dog has gotten in on the act, too; it is amazing how neglected and pitiful Moe can make himself out to be). And, of course, there is the whole time factor, which is a huge issue in itself. If I were slightly more hard core, I would get up at 4:30 in the morning and make everyone happy. But I prize sleep above all else plus have insomnia to boot, so 4:30 workouts just haven't been in the cards lately.

Recently, though, Ella's school sent home an announcement about a new student running club (honestly, at first, I thought the running club was for the parents, and I was super excited; I suppose if I were more organized, I could try to orchestrate a parent running club, but alas...). Ella is thrilled about the running club, especially now that they've announced they hope students will participate in this May's Run for the Roses (a local 5K that Dean and I ran last year). Meanwhile, Sadie feels left out, so I've told her she can do Run for the Roses this year too, which should be a pretty neat trick for a four-year-old who probably wouldn't be willing to *walk* a 1K. Maybe we should hold on to our Baby Jogger a little while longer...

It isn't lost on me that it's *possible* that part of the reason Ella is so eager to join her running club is because I run (I mean, Dean runs too, of course, but my running seems to make a bigger impact because A) No one in our house can live without me, and B) It takes up a lot more time). And that's sort of cool. In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it is possible that the girls are learning something valuable via the hours I am away from the house on Sundays.

I thought Ella was going to balk when she realized it would mean missing lunch recess once a month. But then she said, "Well, I could probably use a little break from lunch recess anyway." That's my girl! Now I just have to come to grips with the possibility of getting my ass kicked in a 5K by a seven-year-old.

No comments: