9/08/2010

This Was Not in the Plans

I've consulted my training plan for week 12 umpteen times and nowhere does it call for getting hit with a wicked cold (flu?). It's seriously not on there. And yet, that is what has happened. On the heels of a truly solid week 11, week 12 has yet to lift off. Originally, I'd planned to run five or six miles yesterday. But after feeling like crap all day and hitting seriously major traffic on my way home, I chose to nap instead (the girls were at soccer practice). I guess it's a good thing I did because it turned out I had a fever. And you're not supposed to run when you have a fever (one of the only really clear rules about exercising while sick). Today I feel completely worn out and achy and have lost my sense of taste. Looks like it's going to be another rest day. I'm hoping I'll feel like running tomorrow but am not holding my breath.

I have zero idea how to proceed from here. Surely it makes little sense to try to cram 36 miles worth of running into what's left of this week. Long runs have a tendency to break down your immune system, so I'm not sure sticking with this week's 18-mile long run is a good plan.

This is seriously rotten timing. All I can do is hope that I can get back on track next week. And, you know, stay well during all of October...

No comments: