Without letting too much time pass, I wanted to give a shout out to all of you who read my blog and have endured months of marathon chit-chat when you are probably only here to find out what the chicks are up to. I do realize this endless discussion of running is really only interesting to other runners (and maybe not even then). So thanks! The huge cheering section of friends and family that I had here and on Facebook made all the difference!
Another big thanks goes out to Ella and Sadie, who were sure not only that I would finish the marathon on Sunday but also that I would win it and who sacrificed mommy time on weekends so I could get my long runs in.
I couldn't have made it through taper madness without the crowd at RLAM, who make me feel a little less crazy and who get where I'm coming from in a way that nonrunning, nonmothers really can't. Coincidentally enough, I had planned to write this thank-you this morning and just read a similar note at the RLAM blog (penned by SBS, who qualified for Boston (Boston!) at her 10-10-10 Portland Marathon). WTG, Sarah!
My good friend H endured more conversations about training plans and marathon-day outfits than someone who isn't married to me should have had to, so she deserves a big thank-you as well.
My awesome cousin Alex (who is currently training for her first Ironman (!!!) in November) gave me great fueling advice and training tips and also sent me a very sweet good luck card, which was such a boost. Thanks, Alex, and wishing you the best of luck at your race in November!
Everyone who contributed to my ADOPT fundraising campaign. Together we raised $617.40 for A.D.O.P.T. Pet Shelter, and I'm so excited to be able to give something back to the folks over there that brought Moe into our lives.
Can't forget the in-laws, who came out to support me in Sunday's race, plus brought the kiddos home so that the husband could stick around to see my stellar finish. They also made Sunday night dinner, which was a huge treat after my epic day. Thanks! My sister and her husband also came out to see the race, and I really enjoyed having a cheering squad out on the course. Thanks, guys!
And finally, to the husband, who was the TRUE endurance athlete here as he ran interference with the girls so I could get my long runs in plus listened to me complain about training plus listened to me obsess about training plus is just generally perfect in every way. To his everlasting credit, he did not file for divorce when I started talking about the 2011 Chicago Marathon minutes after I crossed the finish line of Chicago 2010. D: You name the tri you want to do next year, and I've got you covered!
As far as the aftermath goes, I feel surprisingly good. I am not even having a significant problem with going down stairs (which is a typical post-marathon issue). The fact that I've recovered so well with minimum post-marathon stretching and no ice bath (two staples of training) makes me feel sort of fit and young, which I'll take! I am sore in weird places though--my rib cage hurts like mad, and I have a bruise on the bridge of my nose (it took me a whole day to figure out that it's from my sunglasses). I'm experiencing my typical post-race funk. Going from obsessing about and training for a big event for months to suddenly having all this time on my hands never fails to throw me for a loop. Already yesterday I sent e-mails to the husband suggesting a half-marathon on Halloween or a 15K at the beginning of November. He can't believe I want to jump into training for something again this quickly. I can't believe he thinks I can survive without a schedule that is insane and a life that is too busy to live. ;) On the other hand, maybe I should at least wait until my pace tat wears off before jumping into another race. We'll see.
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment