10/07/2010

Starved Rock

I feel bad (not really though) for faking you all out about the non-running post that was actually totally about running, so here is a non-running post to make up for it.

We headed to Starved Rock on Sunday to meet up with friends and kids for the shortest hike I think I have ever done in my adult life. The kids actually did great, but Moe Dog was having serious (serious!) issues with the stairs. I don't know what that dog's deal is sometimes. But it was as I predicted: Moe would wear out before the girls. (It actually wasn't that he was tired though but that he is completely neurotic. I plan to continue to force him out of his comfort level until he can encounter multiple flights of stairs without having a panic attack.)

I keep forgetting Ella can read. She was reading the informational placards to the other kids and later told me some story about Starved Rock rising up out of the water. I had never heard that before. I should check to see if that is true.

Our dear friends Alex and Lisa and their sweet baby Avery have recently moved back to Illinois to be farmers (yes, seriously), and they were able to meet up with us, which was awesome because it had been a year since we last saw them. We also had our regular cast of awesome friends along, and I gotta say (and not for the first time) how much I love the fact that we not only get to see all these kids grow up but that they all get to grow up together.  All the kiddos are sweet and awesome, and they have a blast together.

Moe proved to be mostly awesome aside from his hiking issues. We are learning that he is fantastic with babies (one of those dogs you can crawl all over and mess with and he'll just lay there and endure the love). We also learned that dogs can apparently get cold--Moe was shivering by the end of the outing (what is that fur for then??). 


Long story short, Sunday at Starved Rock = perfect fall day.


I love these kids!

Moe was completely worn out after his long "hike."
Sadie, Tommy, and Ella
Baby Avery (I am thinking that Tommy is very glad my girls finally, finally dropped the
"baby" from the front of his name!!


No comments: