8/01/2007

Baby's 1st Sentence (Or: The Sister Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree)

Sadie uttered her actual 1st sentence several months ago. To wit: "What is this?" As an editor, I feel more than qualified to declare this a legitimate, complete sentence.

But for months now, nothing. Lots and lots of individual words, but we're not stringing anything together here beyond "What is that (this)?"--said about 10,000 times a day.

However, we had a language breakthrough in the wee hours of the morning. A little background: Sadie nurses (yes, we are STILL nursing; at this point, I have no idea how to stop) every morning at 4. I am not fond of this. I am tired. Too tired to actually try to get her to stop. BUT! We had four days in a row this week where she did not wake at 4. Pure bliss! I told Dean that if she *did* start waking at 4 again, he should go to her so we could finally cut the pre-dawn nursing once and for all. Silly mommy.

So Sadie woke up at 4. And Dean went in. And she screamed bloody murder. "Mommy!" came up more than once. Finally, I hear her scream: "I want Mommy!" Indeed.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that I am back to nursing at 4 in the morning.

Here's the funny part of the story though: This was also Ella's first sentence (beyond the standard "What's that?"). She was about 15 months old and had just dislocated her elbow. Of course, her slow-witted parents hadn't picked up on that yet. She was screaming, and I kept asking her what she wanted. The answer? "I want my mommy." Which could, of course, translate to: "I want a new mommy who is not too stupid to see that my elbow is dislocated."

In any case, these girls are apparently sisters. And I am apparently wanted. Which is cool. Except at 4 in the morning.

It seems worth noting that I also had to nurse her at midnight last night. This is rather unusual. There's something up with that chick. And I hope it resolves itself soon because I am tired. And then Dean asks me this morning: "Why are you so tired?" Um gee. I don't know. Could it be because I have to nurse our TODDLER every morning at 4?!

No comments: