8/30/2007

Overheard (Conversations with the Chicks)

When they are not keeping us up at night or fighting or refusing to fully potty train, our girls are pretty funny. Here are some tidbits from recent days.


Scene: Grocery Store. Ella and I were shopping at Jewel last weekend when Ella spotted a woman nearby.

Ella: "Mommy, that lady looks just like you!"
Me: (Yeah, except for the fact that she's thinner and has better hair--and NO, I did not say that out loud!)

A few minutes later, Ella says: "Mommy, that lady really looked a lot like you. But why wasn't she as pretty as you?"
What could I say, other than: "Well, honey, not everyone is as pretty as Mommy is."


Scene: Sadie and I were cuddling. Out of nowhere, Sadie BIT me. After the fact, she kept asking to see my owie.

Me: "Someone bit me and gave me an owie. Who gave me this owie?"
Sadie: (grinning): "ELLA!"


Scene: Yesterday, Ella was lying down in the grass, pretending to take a nap.
Ella: "I had such a long day working in the fields!"
(Huh?? What exactly are you doing at that preschool anyway?)


Scene: Ella hurt her ankle during a tantrum (the knock-down drag-out variety).
Ella: I hurt the wrist on my foot. [translation: She hurt her ankle.]

Scene: Dean's cousin Jenna has been watching the girls while we wait for our new nanny to start. Ella has been a bit of a pill with Jenna. Earlier today, Ella said: Only one more day, and then you'll be out of my life forever." She claims she heard this from me, but I swear I've never said anything like this. At least not about Jenna!


Okay, this one is from a long time ago, but I find it pretty funny.
Scene: Ella and I were jogging. Well, I was jogging, and Ella was in the running stroller. We were talking about how Daddy and I used to run together all the time before Ella was born, which prompted a discussion about where Ella was before she was born. I fumbled, then said she was living up in heaven with God.

A few weeks later Ella asks: "What was the name of that boy I lived with before I was born?"
Oh yes. This child is going to be such a hit at her Catholic preschool!!

No comments: