8/24/2007

Ella Starts Preschool!

Everyone says they grow up so fast, but it's sort of hard to believe when you're in the thick of it. And yet, it seems to be true. Because my baby, my first-born, is now big enough for school!! On Thursday, we attended a Welcome Tea (which went so-so). Then Thursday evening, Ella (who has been talking about school for months now and has been SO excited) was crying in her bed because she did not want to go to preschool on Friday. She told Dean she was worried none of the kids would want to play with her. This is the kind of thing that breaks a mother's heart. I mean, who wouldn't want to play with my baby? She's so perfect.


This is a picture from before the tea.

This is the mound of paperwork that apparently goes along with being in school.

Anyhow, this morning, Ella was back to being ultra excited about school. She asked us every five minutes whether it was time to leave for school yet. And finally, it was time!




We got to school and waited with the rest of the kids (both big and small) for the bell to ring. Man, is that bell loud!! Then Ella's teacher (Mrs. S) came down to bring the 3 YOs up to their classroom. We tagged along today because we had to drop off two giant bags of school supplies (which mostly consist of paper towels and baby wipes at this age).

Waiting for the bell to ring



In her classroom


With the teacher's aide

After what may have been the world's first tearless preschool drop-off, Dean headed to work. Since Sadie was with Laura, I found myself with something unprecedented: Time to kill. What a concept. So I headed to the gym and then to Starbucks. Then I headed back to school to pick Ella up. All the moms were early (of course), so we had a chance to chat before the kids came out, which was nice. The whole time I'm thinking "Are they going to think it's weird if I take a picture of Ella coming out of school?" Then we hear the kids coming down the stairs. And 15 cameras are whipped out from various purses and strollers. Too funny! The video I shot is included below.

Anyhow, Ella had a fabulous first day of school. One of the other moms told me that Ella sweetly helped her daughter (who was feeling unsure about school) by offering to play with her. Ella reports that they did play doh and had snack (cookies and juice) and played. And played. Sounds like a great first day to me. And let me tell you, she was absolutely thrilled when she heard that she's going back again next week!!

To celebrate the first day of school, Ella and I had a special date. We went to the toy store and then to McDonald's. It was a good day. My baby is all growns up.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG - that after school video is priceless - a tear of joy just came to my eye! Go Ella!