10/15/2008

From the ICU to Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle

Yesterday I visited my brother in rehab (and can I tell you how much I loathe the fact that I hear that Amy Winehouse song in my head every time I type that word?!). He's working on climbing stairs, walking with a walker (he can't use crutches very well yet because he sustained a bad laceration to his left arm, which required 12 stitches; he might also have a mild fracture to his elbow and a torn rotator cuff, plus, there are the broken vertebrae in his back), and balancing on one leg while catching a ball. I helped with the ball throwing so the therapist could stand behind Michael in case he lost his balance. Funny, that. I never imagined my brother and I would be playing catch again.

I'm having a hard time believing that a little more than a week ago, Mike was in the ICU on a ventilator. Now he's walking and getting around. And, get this: He's allowed to LEAVE rehab. He went out to lunch yesterday and then went on an expedition last night to get gyros in an episode he likened to Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (no, I haven't see it, but I think this gives me much better insight into what sort of movies he likes). He and his friends ended up at ESPN Zone. They never did find gyros. I guess Mike was gone longer than expected, and the staff at RIC were a little concerned. Especially since he had failed to secure the pass he needed before leaving (because of an earlier misunderstanding about whether or not a pass is needed). It's just like old times! Seriously, though, the staff at the rehab place seem to love him, and I guess they thought the whole thing was very funny.

Apparently, people are staring at my brother's leg as he heads out and about downtown like a guy who wasn't just in the ICU a week ago. I am heartened by my brother's response to these stares. He reportedly looks people in the eye, smiles, and says, "Hey! How's it going?"

I am amazed at his spirit, his strength, and his ability to move forward.

No comments: