It's late, and I'm tired and feeling emotional. Or about as emotional as I tend to get, which isn't all that emotional. One of my aunts commented that I'm a lot like my father in that regard. I don't know much about that, but I'll say I'm keeping my emotions at arm's length--as much as possible. It's just easier that way. Still, who knows--this might not be the best time to post here. Of course, it's my blog, so I guess I can do whatever I want. And those of you who are hapless enough to be stumbling upon this will have to bear with me.
It happened so fast. It's such a cliche, but it's really the truth when it comes down to it. Everyone says that when it comes to catastrophe, but it's true. My brother says that one minute he had stepped out of the car to check on his front tire, and the next minute he was on the ground. He didn't even know what hit him. But in an instant, his life changed.
That's all it takes. One instant. Less than a second. Everything in life comes down to seconds like that. To stuff you just can't anticipate. So indulge me here and let me just urge you to keep your kids close. Your friends close. Your families close. Because you never, ever know what life is going to bring.
I have a brother who lives 15 minutes away who I see maybe a couple times a month--if that. I don't even know why. We have different work schedules, and I'm just so busy all the time. I have another brother* I haven't seen in a few years. And a sister* halfway across the world. Half the time, I am not even sure where my dad is (though if he's not in Illinois, Australia or Hong Kong are good bets!) I've got family across the country that I haven't seen or talked to in ages. No real reason--it's just the way life is, you know?
Just.... I don't know what I'm trying to say. But if you have a friend you haven't talked to in ages or a sibling you haven't heard from in a while, reach out to them.
[*When I talked to my sister on the phone from the hospital on Saturday, several of my brother's friends were like, "You guys have a sister?" Um, yes. For those of you who are asking yourself the same question, I have a sister and another brother. I really do. I'm not making that up. And yes, I am certain I've mentioned it to you before. If you don't remember, you probably just forgot. ]
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment