After limping around for more than a week (as is my way), I finally saw the doc last night fully expecting him to tell me it was sprained and I should rest it. (Which is why I almost didn't bother going in the first place.) Instead he said something like, "You basically have two options: Give it some time, or have surgery." Well, when you put it that way...
It is not sprained because the ligaments that would hurt with a sprain feel fine. So the doc thinks I tore "something," though he didn't get specific about what. The Google seems to confirm that a partial tear to the meniscus would yield all of my symptoms, including the helpful "many athletes will continue to play on a torn meniscus, as it usually takes a few hours for the swelling to get bad." Bingo. It did not include the word "stupid," as in, "many stupid, stubborn athletes tend to ignore injuries unless they are completely unable to walk." For my part, I'm glad I went and got this information, as I have been mighty temptied to just push my knee to do things it probably shouldn't be doing. Now, in the interest of avoiding further damage (novel concept), I'm laying low and
I do have a pretty major bruise on the back of my knee (want to see a pic? all the cool kids have one), so it's possible that my knee is just out of whack because of the bruising. So we are in a wait-and-see holding pattern over here--giving it until Friday to make some progress as the doc seemed to think I shouldn't be limping this badly still. I'll tell you, it's great fun to try to walk the kids to school like this.
There is nothing (well, few things anyway) more insufferable than a runner who can't run, and I seriously feel like I probably have gained ten pounds in a week of inactivity (I have issues). The husband seems a little horrified at the thought of the no running period ahead--he acted like it was for my benefit, but I think he knows that my insufferability is only going to increase from here.
The upshot is that I could bore you to tears with a daily recap of how annoyed I am that I can't run, but whatever. There are surely worse things, and I'll hopefully be back on my feet soon and will just cross my fingers that I'm not 300 pounds by the time that happens. It's really rotten timing though because with my new Kindle Fire, I was about to revolutionize the treadmill by reading (READING!) while I ran and also with all sorts of TV and movie viewing options. Hopefully I'll at least be able to walk or cycle soon. Just as soon as I can successfully take the dog for a walk around the block without him mournfully sighing about the state of things. Talk about insufferable!





1 comment:
I wiped out skiing on Febraury 13, 2010. (My blog has an entire section "Journey back to my wings" if you feel like reading about it...but NOT now...wait until you're on your way to recovery, I don't want it to be discouraging!) Anyway, after three surgeries and 16 months of physical therapy I have a few pieces of (wisdom?) advice:
1. You will run again. I remember Googling "knee injury" and feeling so depressed afterwards. It takes time and determination, but with patience it will happen.
2. LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR! I was so determined to run on my birthday - 6 months post injury - that I ended up doing more damage. If I had listened to my Dr and Therapists, I wouldn't have pushed myself so far.
Hopefully this isn't just a creepy comment from a stranger, but hang in there. It will get better. In the mean time, enjoy the snuggle time with your girls. :)
Post a Comment