1/24/2012

Still Not Running

So the good (?) news is that the MRI of my knee came back "looking great!" Until I see the report (which will probably never happen), I am not sure I believe this. MRI reports typically come back with a whole bunch of information, none of which tends to include "everything looks great!" At the very least, I would expect the report to have noted the swelling in my knee (which still persists). I assume, though, that this means no tears, which is definitely a good thing. In the meantime, I still have this very weird electric nerve sensation in my big toe, which causes me to scream like a girl when my toe brushes the surface of pretty much everything. That and the swelling--oh, and the fact that I still can't bend my knee--make me think that everything is not actually great. Yesterday, in the hopes that the MRI findings indicate that this whole injury is in my head--a latent, unconscious desire to avoid walking the dog in the snow--I decided to walk up the stairs like a normal person. But no, it was not to be. Even the eight-year-old responded to my news that the MRI was normal with: "Well, start walking normally again." I am still not sure whether she was being a smart ass or she was really demanding that I get on with being normal again already.

The children could stand to be a bit more cooperative. They see how much I'm struggling to get them the 20 feet to school, yet the eight-year-old is giving me grief both about driving to school and about not walking her all the way up to her door. It would be so nice if they could cut their poor, old mom a break. I mean, I hosted TWO birthday parties for that kid on a leg that can't bear normal weight. TWO. So if I have to drive to school for a week or two or three or eighteen hundred, couldn't she at least grin and bear it?

Hoping an ortho can shed some light on this mysterious injury and the case of the electrical big toe because I am running. out. of. patience. Like as of two weeks ago.

In the meantime, the kids and Dean are going skiing again this weekend. Guess who *won't* be hitting the slopes this time?

No comments: