Last Friday, I finally saw an orthopedic surgeon for my knee. He confirmed that my MRI looks perfect. It doesn't show any signs of trauma at all, which I think is really strange, but whatever. The MRI did take place three weeks after my accident, so maybe that's why. Ortho also said that I currently have the range of motion of a 50-year-old with arthritis. So I'll be doing thrice-weekly physical therapy, hopefully starting SOON. With the husband's new job, we had a little bit of a weird insurance overlap/change thing going on. Waiting to get our new info so my primary care doc can put in the referral request for PT.
My knee is actually starting to feel like it's improving, which I'm super excited about. I still have some serious range of motion issues going on, but I think my limp is lessening, and it feels a whole lot better. In fact, I'm planning to walk the three blocks to get the girls today rather than drive. Yay! I definitely think I need physical therapy, but I'm hopeful that I'm on the mend. I'm super tempted to go to the Y and try some low-level cycling but am trying to wait until I get the okay from PT.
In the meantime, I found out at my ortho visit on Friday that my big toe is broken. Which explains the weird sensation I get when I touch it or step on it. I totally thought I was having some nerve issues. I am assuming I broke my toe during the skiing accident because I've been super careful with that entire leg since New Year's, and I think I would have noticed if I had broken my toe somewhere along the way? The ortho says it's probably just that my knee hurt so much immediately that I didn't even notice the toe. It's funny because now that the knee pain is dying down, I feel the pain more. I was on my feet for 1.5 hours on Saturday night, and when we got home, my foot was swollen to twice its size.
So the ortho says it's the toe--not the knee--that is going to keep me from running for a while. Can you believe it? Honestly, at this point I will be happy to be able to walk the dog and do some spin some time soon.
In the good news area of life, I have slept in my bed the entire night for the past three nights! I slept really well on Friday and woke up feeling so good. I am a whole different person when I am getting enough sleep, so I'm pleased about this development.
liam's college graduation!
2 months ago





No comments:
Post a Comment