1/22/2008

Here's the Thing About Having Girls

Often, people (especially moms to little boys) will remark that girls clothes are so much cuter than little boy's clothes. Okay, I won't dispute that. But here's the thing: Beyond the age of about 14 months, it doesn't matter. Not one bit. Because once these little creatures develop a mind of their own, they want to choose their own clothes. This means the cute little pink sweater with the giraffe on it gets paired with pink ratty sweats, rather than with the demin jeans with the cute little matching giraffe that actually GO with the sweater. But that's not even the half of it. Ella typically leaves the house looking all kinds of mismatched--skirts (she won't wear pants or dresses) actually intended for summer paired with patterned tights that may or not jive with the rest of her outfit. Plus, her dad's insistence that we buy Ella's shirts in a size 6 means that she often is wearing clothing for a bigger child.

So yes. There are cute clothes for girls. But that doesn't necessarily make for a cutely dressed child. The girls actually did look cute yesterday--but only because I picked out their clothes and got them dressed in the living room. Even then, Sadie refused TWO outfits before I finally hit the jackpot.

The moral of this story? If you see Ella and Sadie around, just remember: They most likely chose their own outfits.

Editor's note: Of course, when I went through my online photo album to try and find examples, all I could find were photos of nicely dressed girls. I guess I only photograph them when they look good....

Random musings: People sure do stare at a person running along the side of a relatively busy street in 20-degree weather. What's up with that?

Editor's note: I was NOT running IN the street. Mom. Jeez!

Also, in case you were wondering: A fresh powdering of snow--not so great to run in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't see how its my fault that E's clothes are "too big". I don't actually make any clothing purchases... Plus her stomach sticks out of all the size 5 shirts, she's too young to be going bare-midriffed.