2/25/2009

Hey, that's a nice hat!

About a month ago now, I left my hat on top of my locker at the Y. On purpose. I had changed for a run, locked my locker, then realized I was still wearing my hat. Who is going to take my hat?, I thought as I tossed it on top of the locker and headed for my run. As it turned out, somebody was most definitely going to take it. I checked lost-and-found. No hat. Over the next month, I continually checked lost-and-found every time I went to the Y. It seems silly, I know. We're just talking about a HAT. But, but, but.... I have the gloves and scarf that match this hat. And I lose hats and gloves and scarves so frequently that I was taking a certain amount of proud in having a matching set.

My hat never did turn up. And I guess I'm wondering: If you find a HAT somewhere, don't you either leave it where you found it or turn it in to lost-and-found (if such a thing exists in your location)? Do you really pick it up, check the label, and think "Hey! This hat is from the Gap! I love the Gap!"? I mean, for all the person knows, I could have lice.

Then, on Valentine's Day, I brought my favorite cardigan to a restaurant with me. I'm sure you can predict how this story ends. I didn't call right away. Because I'm lazy and I was thinking Who the hell is just going to TAKE my sweater? Clearly, I'm a slow learner. Because the sweater (which happened to be from J-Crew) is gone, and now I find myself in need of a new black cardigan. I know there's a lesson here for me: I'm not paying close enough attention to my stuff. I get that. But seriously--people are weird. I could SEE taking a wallet you found on the ground. I wouldn't do it personally because I believe in Karma, but I could understand why someone else would. But a sweater and a hat that I found on the ground or on top of a locker? I'd definitely pass on taking these "finds" home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you checked Ebay? Your hat and cardigan might just be up for sale! :)

Laurie in OH

Lynette said...

I lost a black cardigan once. At the grocery store. When I went back in to find it in a random isle - it was no where to be found. I loved that sweater.

And I agree, why pick up something that's not yours!